Thursday, July 7, 2011

and the nanny of the year award goes to. . .

. . .me!!

They belong to a pool and tennis club; and after a week of taking the boys to swim lessons there, I felt comfortable enough with the layout and staff to take them there for a the day.  Neither of the boys can actually swim.  J can touch with no problems and A can just about touch but can't really walk around in the water.  They both hate to get their faces wet or go underwater. I watched them "jump" off the side of the pool with their swim instructor all week. Really it was them holding on to her hands and falling into her. I was having them actually jump off the side of the pool and into my arms.  I contemplated not catching them so they could see that going under isn't all that bad, but I knew doing that would ruin any trust I had built.  So I kept telling them "I'll catch you.  Have I ever dropped you??  Will I start now?"  They both did a good job jumping while holding my hands.  Then A jumped into my arms and we were all excited that he did it and was such a brave boy.  Then what did I do?  I let go of him.  And what did he do?  He sunk to the bottom.  After some major tears, I convinced him that it was such a cool thing.  He got to go underwater. J didn't get to do that.  J was too scared to do that, A was so brave.  He then started to brag to J that he got to go underwater. 


I'll take my trophy now


No comments: